Saturday, February 20, 2010

6 months - and an FYI

I am 6 months!! 
==> 6!!  MONTHS!! <==
She will be here in 3 months!!  

I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is going by.  I was looking at our little ultrasound pics today - sweet little chubby cheeks, just like her sisters.  I can't wait to hold her and kiss those little cheeks.  ♥

On an unrelated note.

I enjoy being pregnant.  I really do.  I feel cute.  Bulgy, but cute.  

Pregnancy is the ONE TIME in my life that I actually DON'T feel self-conscious about my weight.  I like the cute little belly and I like the cute little clothes.  I *adore* the enormous ta-tas.  :)  I don't obsess over the number on the scale and I don't feel guilty about eating.

HOWEVER.  I have noticed a disturbing trend.  For some reason, it seems that people feel it is okay to say things to me (I assume because I am obviously pregnant) that NO ONE in their right mind would say to a woman who is NOT pregnant.

Comments like, "You must be due any day," and "Feeling big?" and my favorite, "ONLY 6 MONTHS?!  Is it TWINS??" just roll off their tongues.  Worse, it is WOMEN who are guilty of this!!  Now come on ladies.  Would you tell another non-pregnant woman at the grocery store she seems a bit hefty to you for her height?

Of course not.  Can you imagine?  "Wow, you are big for a woman who is only 5' 4"!  You must feel miserable!"  

***SMACK!!***

That's about how that conversation would go, no?

So, just an FYI ladies.  No pregnant woman wants to be told she is huge - just like the *not* pregnant girl next to her in line who is carrying an extra 30 lbs - she knows.  And there is a good chance she is NOT standing there thinking how much better she would feel about herself if someone would just acknowledge her plight.

The old adage is true - think of something NICE to say.  Ask her if she is excited.  Ask her if she knows the baby's gender.  Tell her she looks cute.  And if she retorts with a negative remark about her appearance, don't be fazed.

The last 3 women she stood next to in line probably asked if she was carrying twins.

Thanks for listening.  I feel better. :)  Once we get the crib put together I'll be putting up some before-and-after pics of the nursery and the girls' room, both of which have recently received a fresh coat of paint in super girly colors.  Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I so understand Leah been there. You look so fantastic my friend and it baffels me that anyone would say anything like that to you. I love you girl!